The study of the materials, methods and techniques used in building construction projects. The course will cover the construction process from idea conception to project closeout, including building and material codes, materials and methods, material quantity surveys, and construction procedures. Primary emphasis will be on structural steel, reinforced concrete, masonry, wood, and combined structural systems. Also included will be building exterior and interior finishing systems. The laboratory includes a study of the methods and techniques used in blueprint reading for building construction. It will cover the use of construction drawings, scales, orthographic views, symbols, sections, and graphical interpretation, specific to the building construction industry to include structural steel detailing, reinforced concrete detailing, masonry sections, wood sections, and schedules for interior finishes and accessories.
1. Find and apply the applicable building codes for Commercial and Industrial construction.
2. Define and explain the different methods and materials used in building construction.
3. Outline the construction process for building construction.
4. Select appropriate construction materials from the specifications submitted.
5. Perform a quantity survey for the materials selected.
6. Interpret construction drawings.
7. Research new materials and explain the construction methods.
8. Analyze labor productivity and estimate quantities for construction materials.
Duration: 2 Years
Award: Advanced Diploma
One thought on “Building Construction”